Tactical pants may be considered cargo pants, but cargo pants are not necessarily tactical pants. When you take a closer look, it’s clear that tactical pants are tailored for action. They’re meant to help individuals protect and defend, similar to a sidearm or weapon of choice.
With tactical pants, durability is key. That is why tactical pants are often reinforced with bar-tacks, gussets, and sometimes even bulletproof material, such as DuPont Teflon. In addition to polyester, polycotton ripstop, and DuPont Teflon, tactical pants should also contain sturdy belt loops that can support a hefty sidearm.
Tactical pants are basically EDC armor. Thus, they are often worn by law enforcement officers, EMTs, FBI personnel, military operators, and others who are in the line of fire. But they are also utilized by adventurous individuals, such as mountain climbers and outdoorsman who regularly face the elements.
Styles of Tactical Pants
Tactical pants come in many different styles. There are lightweight options, big-and-tall options, and of course different cuts for men and women. The fabric style is one of the biggest differences between the various types of tactical pants, although they usually all use polycotton to varying degrees. You can find covert cargo, covert khaki, jean cut, and traverse options, for both men and women.
Specialty Tactical Pants
We’ve covered the basics, but your options don’t stop there. There are many details that turn off-the-rack tactical pants into the perfect pants for an individual. In fact, the more personalized tactical pants become, the better off the wearer will be when an incident does occur.
Like Batman’s utility belt, tactical pants are built to carry the essentials for protection, survival, and beyond. Prices for tactical pants range from $30 to $300, so it’s vital to find the right style for the wearer in question.
When choosing tactical pants, it’s important to start with a style, such as camouflage. Then, it’s ideal to check price and waist size. Inseam options include short, regular, and long. Once you’ve found the perfect fit, you have the option to include precision knee pads as part of the pants.
Some Tactical Pants to Consider
As you start to decide which details are important, there are various other options to consider when you’re ready to buy tactical pants. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Crye Precision G3 Combat Pant: Made in America, MIL-SPEC compliant, 50/50 NYCO (nylon cotton blend), stretch woven areas, a low-profile design, and a cut that allows for great mobility. MSRP $284.95
- Propper Genuine Gear BDU: Available in many colors in a 60/40 poly-cotton blend, zipper fly, reinforced knee and seat, drain holes, and 6 pockets. MSRP $29.99
- 5.11 Tactical Taclite Pro: Teflon-treated fabric is stain, dirt, and water resistant, gusseted crotch, 7 pockets, triple-stitched and bartack reinforced seams, and available in many colors. MSRP $64.99
Disclaimer: The content in this article is the opinion of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the policies or opinions of US Patriot Tactical.
Latest posts by Brock Swinson (see all)
- What Are Tactical Pants? - 10 January, 2019
- REVIEW: G1 Tru-Spec Poncho from Five Star Gear - 4 January, 2019
- AR-15 Misconceptions: What Does Semi-Automatic Mean? - 27 December, 2018