VA Guide Can Help Vets Get Grants for Adapted Housing

The overall VA healthcare system has been in disarray for some time now. One part of it, however, does seem to shine, and that part is known as the SAH Grant program. SAH stands for Specially Adapted Housing, and this program helps vets with certain disabilities get into a home that is customized to fit their individual needs.

The best way to get all of the information that one needs is to contact the Department of Veterans Affairs. Visitors to the site will see that there are two grants available. The SAH grant and the SHA grant. The SAH grant is used to help disabled vets create a barrier-free environment within the home. This can be especially important for those vets who have mobility issues. According to the latest information at the site, SAH grants can be used for the following:

  • To construct a specially adapted home on land to be acquired
  • To build a home on land already owned if it is suitable for specially adapted housing
  • To remodel an existing home if it can be made suitable for specially adapted housing
  • To apply the grant against the unpaid principal mortgage balance of an adapted home already acquired without the assistance of a VA grant

SAH GrantThe Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant is similar and vets who are interested in either of these programs should study each carefully to see which best fits the veteran’s needs. The above mentioned link also details the eligibility requirements and maximum amount of benefits. In terms of benefit amounts, the site reads:

The SAH and SHA benefit amount is set by law, but may be adjusted upward annually based on a cost-of-construction index. The maximum dollar amount allowable for SAH grants in fiscal year 2016 is $73,768. The maximum dollar amount allowable for SHA grant in fiscal year 2016 is $14,754. No individual may use the grant benefit more than three times up to the maximum dollar amount allowable.

A temporary grant may be available to SAH/SHA eligible Veterans and Servicemembers who are or will be temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member. The maximum amount available to adapt a family member’s home for the SAH grant is $32,384 and for the SHA grant is $5,782.

Disclaimer: The content in this article is the opinion of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the policies or opinions of US Patriot Tactical.

Robert Partain

Robert Partain

Robert Partain has been a professional writer for over 25 years. He spent ten years on active duty in the Army working as a medic and training NCO. While he covers any topic associated with military life, he specializes in writing about legislation that can affect active duty service members and veterans. Robert currently lives in the small town of Arab, Alabama.
Robert Partain

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *