There are times when it seems every day brings with it another threat to law enforcement. Roll calls are filled with reports of new weapons, new hiding areas and even booby traps aimed at hurting officers. But in recent years the threats have become even more chilling as they now involve hate groups, the media and even our own politicians.
Anyone who has worked in law enforcement over the past decade understands what I mean when I say “It isn’t like it used to be.” Law enforcement has always been dangerous, it the nature of the profession, but the past decade has seen that danger unfold in ways never before imagined.
There was a time when you knew when danger was around the next corner – when responding to certain calls, patrolling specific neighborhoods or dealing with local bad guys you knew were a little off center. Now that danger is everywhere. Officers are being ambushed in their patrol cars, targeted in the station and even gunned down in shopping store parking lots.
Many officers have been asking why? Last week an FBI report was leaked which spreads some light on this change in culture and it blames hate groups, the media and even politicians.
The 4-page report titled “The Assailant Study- Mindsets and Behaviors” is an internal document detailing the Bureau’s efforts to answer the question many officers hav
e been asking. Although it was never intended for public review it was leaked none the less and the information is all too true. But don’t look for the mainstream media to say too much because they are squarely in the bull’s eye when it comes to placing blame.
It comes as no surprise that assaults in officers have increased since the 2014 OIS in Ferguson MO. According to the report that incident and the fashion in which it was handled has resulted in three factors which have directly impacted the current hatred towards law enforcement.
1. Anti-law enforcement Hate Groups openly call for more attacks on LE
2. The media has shown an open bias against law enforcement in general, even going as far as referring to OIS as “murder” and claiming violent criminals were “defending themselves” when they shot police.
3. Politicians who now consider it acceptable to attack police publicly, even releasing otherwise protected information identifying officers and their home addresses prior to the investigation being concluded.
While the Hate Groups may be an expected risk the fact that the media and politicians have openly supported, even embraced their causes, is not only unheard of it’s dangerous. These actions not only prevent accurate information from being released it places officers’ lives in danger.
It’s time to put a stop to hate groups, hold the media accountable to reporting the news not personal opinions and forcing politicians from office when they condone the murder of public servants.
Disclaimer: The content in this article is the opinion of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the policies or opinions of US Patriot Tactical.
Latest posts by Tom Burrell (see all)
- 5 Features to Look for in Tactical Pants - 12 January, 2019
- Looking Ahead: 5 Most Anticipated Products of 2019 - 8 January, 2019
- REVIEW: Propper Genuine Gear BDU Trousers - 2 January, 2019