Original S.W.A.T. is well known for their line of tactical boots which are relied upon by military and law enforcement operators alike. When they were founded back in 1999 it was with the goal of supplying hard-working soldiers and LEO’s with footwear that would offer both performance and comfort, and today they’ve been doing all that and more for almost two decades. It really comes as no surprise Original S.W.A.T. is at the top of their field, after all, boots are what they do – all they do – and they do it very well.
At SHOT Show, Original S.W.A.T. had a wide array of boots on display and I was able to spend time talking to Brett Weitl about the company’s products as well as their purchase of Altama. That’s right, Original S.W.A.T. purchased Altama last August; read on for further details.
New for 2015 from Original S.W.A.T. is the HAWK in coyote. Previously the boot has only been available in black. The HAWK, which stands for High Agility Weight Kinetics, is designed for fantastic performance at an incredibly light weight. The boot utilizes the company’s Flex-Lite Support System and offers comfort more along the lines of your favorite pair of sneakers while retaining the durability and stability you’ve come to expect from Original S.W.A.T. tactical boots. HAWK boots are not AR-670-1 compliant. Features include:
- Leather / durable nylon mesh upper
- YKK® side-zipper in durable Vision pattern for easy on and off fit with hook and loop tab-stay closure
- Meets the EN 20347 standard for occupational footwear with fuel oil resistance and SRC rated slip resistance
- Gusseted tongue to keep dirt and debris out
- Durable polymer speed laces eyelets
- Tactical performance non-slip laces
- Flex-Lite Support System build technology
- Moisture-wicking lining with AEGIS antimicrobial protection
- Removable custom fit EVA insole
- TPU heel stabilizer for custom fit and stability
- Lightweight molded dual density EVA midsole with shock absorption zone for comfort and fatigue control
- Exclusive airport-friendly Flex-Lite molded nylon stability board with torsional support ridges for the ultimate in lightweight, flexible support and performance
- Custom-molded thermoplastic heel counter and toe box for instant comfort and lateral support
- Stitched toe for durability and extended service life
- Tec Tuff abrasion-resistant toe and heel panel protection
- H.A.W.K. outsole: lightweight, arch ladder grips, toe grips for climbing, oil resistant, non-marking rubber, exceeds the ASTM F489-96 safety standard for slip resistance (from Original S.W.A.T.)
Take a look online: http://www.originalswat.com/us_en/product-h-a-w-k-9-side-zip-en-black.html
Regarding the purchase of Altama by Original S.W.A.T., the transaction took place in August of 2014 after Tactical Holdings filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in July of 2014. There was a scant month in between the date of filing and the date of purchase; this was a quickly-executed purchase. Tactical Holdings owned Wellco and Altama as well as Ro-Search, the company known for making the Panama sole found in the original jungle boot worn by soldiers in Vietnam. After the purchase was complete Original S.W.A.T. made the following statement on their website:
“Dear valued customers,
We are pleased to announce that our company, Original Footwear, has purchased the majority of the assets of Tactical Holdings and Operations Inc. as of August 15th, 2014. Most notably we welcome the Wellco and Altama companies—brands with a wealth of history, research, and footwear technology.
These premier footwear brands have served military personnel for generations and will live on next to our already successful and rapidly growing Original S.W.A.T. brand of performance tactical boots. With our fifteen-year record of constantly improving footwear manufacturing techniques and quality assurance, this acquisition is a perfect fit for all involved.
There are many important steps to take, and our journey has just begun. We will face all obstacles head on. As a first priority, we are consolidating manufacturing at our state-of-the-art facility in Morristown, Tennessee, and ramping up USA production.
Our unwavering mission is to create the most reliable military and law enforcement boots on the market, and ensure our availability standards are met. Combining Original S.W.A.T’s consistent quality and value with Wellco and Altama’s unique understanding of military needs, we are confident that the end results will far exceed our customers’ expectations.
Thank you for your time and understanding. Please make note of our new Customer Service information below and feel free to contact us at any time.
According to the rep at Original S.W.A.T. the coming year will be spent restructuring Altama and fulfilling existing contracts. Fans of Altama’s boots will be pleased to hear the line will remain largely intact. Although there will not be anything new for 2015, there is something new underway for next year and I can tell you that from a boot standpoint it will definitely make a splash come SHOT Show 2016.
Latest posts by Katherine Ainsworth (see all)
- Preppers R Us: Social Media Wonders, ‘Is It Time?’ - 12 March, 2016
- ADs and NDs: A Curious Badge of Honor - 8 March, 2016
- Fake Friends: Facebook Encourages Snitches on Social Media - 1 March, 2016