New titles for Marine Corps military occupational specialties will begin on October 1st. The new names are designed to be gender-neutral and, while very few will remain unchanged, most will be modified. This is according to an administrative message released by the Marine Corps.
Those MOS titles with the word “man” in them will be changed. Most titles will simply change the word “man” to “Marine.” One exception is Rifleman, MOS 0311, which will not change out of respect for Marine history and tradition.
In addition, some schools and job courses will be renamed. Currently, there are 29 schools to be renamed. All of this came about from a mandate given to the Corps from Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, who has also ordered that the US Navy review its ratings for zays to make them less gender-specific.
Here is a listing of the new school and course names:
- N2373C3 Naval Aircrewman Candidate School will become Naval Air Crewmember Candidate School
- N23G3U2 Aviation Ordnanceman ‘A’ School will become Aviation Ordnance ‘A’ School
- A03H5S3 Maneuver SLC (Armor Crewman) will become Maneuver SLC (Armor Crewmember)
- A03TBM2 Marine Armor Crewman will become Marine Armor Crewmember
- A03YH42 Assault Breacher Vehicle Crewman will become Assault Breacher Vehicle Marine
- A14GBD6 Light Armored Vehicle Repairman will become Light Armored Vehicle Repair Marine
- A200811 Field Artillery Fire Controlman will become Field Artillery Fire Control Marine
- A200821 Cannon Crewman will become Cannon Crewmember
- A20DPZ1 Marine Artillery Sensor Supportman will become Marine Artillery Sensor Support Marine
- M030354 and M100342 Infantry Assaultman will become Infantry Assault Marine
- M03HDG4 and M10HDG2 Basic Infantryman will become Basic Infantry Marine
- M03M3X4, M10M3X2 and M21M3X1 Advanced Infantryman will become Advanced Infantry Marine
- M03MUR4 and M10MUR2 Advanced Anti-Tank Missileman will become Advanced Anti-Tank Missile Marine
- M03MUS4 and M10MUS2 Advanced Infantry Assaultman will become Advanced Infantry Assault Marine
- M03T2B4 and M10T2B2 Infantry Anti-Tank Missileman will become Infantry Anti-Tank Missile Marine
- M1018Y3 Assault Amphibian Repairman, Basic will become Assault Amphibian Repair Marine, Basic
- M10AHX3 Assault Amphibian Repairman, Intermediate will become Assault Amphibian Repair Marine, Intermediate
- M10AHY3 Assault Amphibian Crewman will become Assault Amphibian Marine
- M10H2F2 Light Armored Reconnaissance Crewman, will become Light Armored Reconnaissance Marine
- N23WSL2 Aircrew Survival Equipmentman Common Core Class A1 will become Aircrew Survival Equipment Common Core Class A1
- N3013U1 Fire Support Man Aviation will become Fire Support Marine Aviation
- N336441 Maintenance Administration A1 will become Maintenance Administration Class A1
Disclaimer: The content in this article is the opinion of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the policies or opinions of US Patriot Tactical.
Latest posts by Robert Partain (see all)
- VA Backlog Surge Expected as Camp Lejeune Toxic Water Claims Begin - 9 March, 2017
- Federal Hiring Freeze Catches Services Off Guard - 6 March, 2017
- Mom Lucky to Survive Winter Trek of 26 Miles Unprepared - 17 January, 2017