One of the key platforms of the Trump campaign was border security. Yes, everyone knows about “the wall” and his plans for making Mexico pay for it- something which has yet to happen. But, despite the Democrats attempts to claim a Trump failure, the security at our southern border has reached an unprecedented level.
In May 2017 the U.S. Border Patrol arrested 19,967 people for attempting to enter the country illegally via the southern border. This is DOWN from 55,442 in May 2016, a mind-blowing decrease of 35,475.
So, if the wall has not been constructed what is the reason for this drastic decrease in illegal penetration of our border?
According to Jeffery Self, Chief Patrol Officer of the U.S. Border Patrol El Paso Sector it is multi-faceted.
1. Better equipment & infrastructure investment: the current administration has put its money where its mouth is by investing in increased manpower, equipment and security improvements. By adding patrols, improving their equipment and improving the barriers that do exist Border Patrol officers have been able to improve the effectiveness of their enforcement efforts.
2. Increase cooperation with partners: Border Patrol officials have found their local, state and federal partners often share a desire to stop illegal entry. Although these other agencies may have different motivations, such as targeting smugglers or related criminal activity, increasing the partnerships have resulted in a higher level of detection and apprehension when it comes to illegal immigration as well.
3. Stop catch and release program: during the previous administration Border, Patrol officials were forced to participate in a controversial practice of arresting those who entered the country illegally only to then release them pending a hearing. To be clear nothing in the U.S. immigration regulations require these apprehended at the border to be granted such a hearing, never mind allowing them to remain here while waiting said hearing. Doing so was purely political in nature. That practice has now stopped and those apprehended at the border are arrested and detained until transportation home can be arranged. They are then sent home- do not pass “Go”, do not benefit from living in America
4. Targeting big fish: those working the front lines of the illegal immigration crisis realize the individuals crossing the border are not the true target and that catching them is the equivalent to bailing water rather than plugging the hole. With this in mind, officials have started targeting the smugglers, coyotes, and gangs who facilitate and profit from human trafficking. By removing these bigger fish from the picture they are also plugging the pipeline rather than placing a bucket at the opening.
It goes without saying that the decrease in illegal activity along our border is the result of hard work and determination by the men and women who patrol day in and day out to stop such action. However, Chief Smith credits the Trump Administration with making that hard work go unwasted.
“The administration has communicated clearly that they support our people out in the field that they will enforce our immigration laws and there are consequences to those who violate those laws” June 2017 interview with Fox News.
Disclaimer: The content in this article is the opinion of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the policies or opinions of US Patriot Tactical.
Latest posts by Tom Burrell (see all)
- 5 Features to Look for in Tactical Pants – 12 January, 2019
- Looking Ahead: 5 Most Anticipated Products of 2019 – 8 January, 2019
- REVIEW: Propper Genuine Gear BDU Trousers – 2 January, 2019