On Sunday, Sept. 24, 2017, the parishioners of Burnette Chapel Church of God, Antioch TN, were faced with a gunman who entered their church and began shooting. After the gunman had killed one and wounded six he was subdued by a 22 yr. old usher, himself a CCW holder, but the usher did so without his own firearm. The usher is now being hailed a hero, and rightfully so, but there are valuable lessons to be learned.
It is unclear why the gunman, who had previously attended the church himself, drove into the parking lot and killed a woman by her car and then entered the church itself armed with two handguns. Nor is it clear why that. The Same gunman again started shooting, wounding 6 additional people, before he was subdued by the usher. What is clear is this young man saved countless others from being wounded or killed, but I have to ask “Why was his firearm in his car when he needed it most?”
By all accounts, the usher was the holder of a valid CCW. It is also obvious he had a firearm in his vehicle as he retrieved it following the confrontation and used it to hold the gunman until police arrived. I can only guess as to why he would leave the firearm, which he most likely owned for self-protection, in his vehicle rather than carrying it on his person. But I would hazard a guess that it involved one of the following reasons: (1) he felt safe within his church, someplace he did not believe he was vulnerable to attack, (2) other parishioners disapproved of his carrying a firearm in a church or (3) a combination of 1 & 2. Substitute home, work or any number of other familiar everyday places for church and I am willing to better we have all experienced a similar situation. Fortunately, most of us never face the consequences.
I am glad the usher is safe and congratulate his bravery in taking on an armed gunman, even after he had himself been pistol whipped. But I also hope that everyone involved has learned a few valuable lessons from this tragic event.
• A firearm does you no good unless you can access it when needed
• Just because you feel safe somewhere does not make it so, criminals often consider such places “soft targets”
• If carried properly no one will even know you have a firearm unless you are forced to use it
• If you must use your firearm most involved, even the most anti-gun liberal living , will be grateful to be just that-LIVING
Disclaimer: The content in this article is the opinion of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the policies or opinions of US Patriot Tactical.
Latest posts by Tom Burrell (see all)
- 5 Features to Look for in Tactical Pants - 12 January, 2019
- Looking Ahead: 5 Most Anticipated Products of 2019 - 8 January, 2019
- REVIEW: Propper Genuine Gear BDU Trousers - 2 January, 2019